Ok, these are the design notes so far:
http://owfs.org/index.php?page=external-sensor-design

I'm only so-so happy with the "external" name for the program (owexternal)
and directory (/external).

All the configuration files are a bit of a nuisance, but we really have two
things:
Family types (defining a type of sensor)
Individual sensors (unique addresses)

In 1-wire the list of sensors can be discovered by searching the bus, and
the family type (and supported properties) are hardcoded.

My thought is to make the extension system very flexible at the start. If
there are classes of devices that have similar ability to be either
auto-discovered or self-describing, that can be supported later by a
special version of owexternal.