Willard,

please show us the log, while you plug in the LinkUSB into your machine!
Maybe your ttyUSB0 is already taken by a different device?

Martin

On 11/09/2013 11:12 PM, Willard Korfhage wrote:
I am rebuilding a machine that ran owfs, so I installed Ubuntu 12.04,
then downloaded owfs 2.9p1 and built it in the usual way, following my
notes from when I did the same thing with 2.8p14. I did

./configure --enable-owfs --enable-owhttpd --enable-usb

when configuring before building. When I try to run it, it fails

sudo /opt/owfs/bin/owfs --link=/dev/ttyUSB0 -m /var/lib/1wire
DEFAULT: ow_link.c:(242) LINK detection error
DEFAULT: ow_link.c:(251) LINK detection error
DEFAULT: ow_link.c:(242) LINK detection error
DEFAULT: ow_link.c:(251) LINK detection error
DEFAULT: ow_link.c:(242) LINK detection error
DEFAULT: ow_link.c:(251) LINK detection error
DEFAULT: ow_link.c:(242) LINK detection error
DEFAULT: ow_link.c:(251) LINK detection error
DEFAULT: owlib.c:(56) No valid 1-wire buses found

As an experiment, I downloaded 2.8p14, built it, and that fails with
LINK detection errors, too. When I ran the machine before, it was
running on an older version of Ubuntu, probably 11.10, so looks like
some Linux change might be responsible for the current problems.

Any suggestions on what to do? I tried 2.9p1 with a DS9490R that I had
around, and that seemed to be ok.