it's up to you. a wifi xbee module is about twice as much as the tplink
router I have linked.

wifi, and tcpip are pretty complex protocols. to handle encryption, data
rates and the protocols, you must have some real cpu with some real
operating system. and once we have that, it will likely be able to run
owserver.

if you want battery operated sensor nodes, the likes of 6lowpan is your
route. a small scale alternative is rf24network.

Vajk