Hello!
A good question. One I've asked myself countless times, before Paul
wrote his excellent tool set and realized there was a better way to
manage certain storage methods.

Let's say you own an iButton of the type who contains a DS2401
electronic serial number. Inserting it into the reader will prompt the
computer to examine it, and add it to the list of displayed devices.
The serial number on it, will be the displayed along with everything
else known about it.

For example one of the many ideas that the company who originated them
had was to contain a standard real time clock that would contain all
of the features their real time clocks have and indeed that was the
case.

A third party company makes a specialty reader who when pressed
against one of them is told the time of day and encloses it in its
files. Further it can be used in place of the recording clocks that
watchmen used for an eternity of walking around buildings. And in fact
my food store uses them for their day-to-day activities as applied to
that one.

At one point the company was working with a company to make up
doorlocks that would only open when a matching button was shown to it.

It gets even stranger.

At the height of the Java business, they even made a button who would
contain an application, and indeed the fun one was to have the thing
send the host computer to show the owner's website in all its
(typically badly) written glory.

Incidentally those numbers that each device wears have a story behind
them. It seems that during the process of development someone there
discovered that they resembled the codes worn by Ethernet cards so
they made arrangements with the authorities behind that to register
them accordingly. They are as seemingly random as the UUID entries
that can be created using the appropriate software, but that's where
the two part company.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drw...@gmail.com