Thanks for the very useful answers. I will order the Sheepwalk board but in
the meantime will try the "cheap&dirty solution". To do so I need help. Let
me put it in perspective. I'm a 79 year old former mainframe computer
programmer but know next to zero electronics.

" ... connecting it (and a 1k pullup to 3.3V) to GPIO4 is sufficient."

The waterproof DS18B20 has three leads:
    +5V (red)
    Ground (yellow)
    Data (blue)

Do I wire:
    GPIO pin 1 (3.3V) to red
    GPIO pin 6 (Gnd)  to yellow
    GPIO pin 7 (GPIO4) to blue
??

Thanks. You will be rewarded for helping an old geezer.
Peter
Stuart Island, B.C.