It appears the Raspberry Pi comes with the OWFS support driver already installed in the image. The driver isn't loaded though.

While preparing for a presentation concerning PIGPIO, I tested the connection of a DS18B20 to my Raspberry Pi.

At the very bottom of this link, you will find a couple of notes I collected: http://www.merkles.com/EmbeddedWorkshop/PiGPIO.html In my example, I used gpiopin 18. You'll need a 4.7K ohm pull up resistor to 3.3V attached to the pin as well.

Shoot me an email if you hit a problem. I wrote an example program that reads the DS18B20 via the SYSFS, and displays the temperature. Until you can see the sensor show up under /sys/bus/w1/devices, the example program won't help....

---
Jim Merkle
Carrollton, TX 75007
j...@merkles.com

On 2018-10-08 19:37, Gregg Levine wrote:
Hello!
I found a page who explains within reason how to make (some) use of a
Raspberry Pi GPIO point as a One-Wire hookup:
https://pinout.xyz/pinout/1_wire

Naturally it does not go into a enough detail which is why I wanted to
ask the people here about it.

I of course have the serial devices that most of us started with, and
can order a new USB adapter and can convince the company to send me
samples of the I2C chips for that purpose.

But since the Raspberry Pi folks tend to think that their device needs
no help in accessing such things I decided to give it a try.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drw...@gmail.com