Thanks Stefano, that looks much better.

On 14/10/2020 15:13, Stefano Miccoli via Owfs-developers wrote:
A more succinct way would be:

str(x).encode()

In fact the outer call to ‘bytes’ in 'bytes(str.encode(str(x)))' is a no-op, and python strings are objects which have an ‘encode' method, so no need call the class method ’str.encode’.

Another possible way is

f"{x:d}".encode()

or

"{:d}".format(x).encode()

which is more “defensive”, in the sense that the conversion fails if x is not an integer. In fact “str(x)” is defined for almost any imaginable object in python, and could return anything. Therefore it is better to be a little more verbose, and be explicit on the fact that here we are interested in a decimal integer.

Another variant, in which we accept a float value could be

f"{round(x):d}".encode()

or

f"{x:.0f}"

but possibilities are endless.