On 05.02.2014 14:20, Benjamin Schieder wrote:
Hello there.

The subject is intentionally scary but it's equally important, at least
I think so.
I just lost about 2/3 of my files to the sync client version 1.5.0
running on Debian connected to an owncloud instance version 5.0.13 also
running on Debian. I'm writing this here down to warn others of this
particular caveat.

I have a fairly big owncloud files directory. Around 20 GB spread over
thousands of files.
I used to have a clientsync/ directory that was synced between three
computers.
After a reinstallation of my laptop and re-configuration of the sync
client, the client now synced the / directory of my server instead of
the /clientsync directory.
Did you have a previously configured client? Have you been asked if you want to start over with a clean sync or keep the local files?

Well, that was fine with me, so I decided to move the directories from
/clientsync/* to / .
Where? On the server or on the client?

The sync client then started working on that and the logfile showed lots
of "Moved" messages. All fine so far.
Which logfile? Was it the apache log or the client log?

At some point, the sync client encountered a 500 Internal server error
and stopped working.
Why did that happen? Did you find something in the apache error log?

During investigation, the sync client crashed and I restarted it.
Now it started to sync again but started deleting files on the server
and locally.
In the end, only the files successfully "Moved" were kept, all others
that existed on the server but not on the client or vice-versa were
deleted.
That is strange, and we do not have an explanation to that. Maybe you have more input on our questions.

Personally, I'd call that a serious bug but am unsure how I can and if I
want to reproduce it.

I was able to restore the files from another machines sync directory,
but it was very scary nonetheless.
Yes, sorry for that.

Klaas