Hi Steve,

If you only want to make the topic titles look smaller you can open the:
OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT\resource\commonltr.css
CSS file (which gets copied to the output directory when transforming to XHTML) and modify the font-sizes for the:
.topictitle1
.topictitle2
.topictitle3
selectors.

If you still want imbricated topic titles to start from <h2> instead of <h1> you can open the:
OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR\frameworks\dita\DITA-OT\xsl\xslhtml\dita2htmlImpl.xsl
and search for "NESTED TOPIC TITLES". There is a template below the comment which generates the headings depending on the topic's level of imbrication.
In that template there is a line:
<xsl:otherwise><xsl:value-of select="count(ancestor::*[contains(@class,' topic/topic ')])"/></xsl:otherwise>
which you can replace with:
<xsl:otherwise><xsl:value-of select="count(ancestor::*[contains(@class,' topic/topic ')]) + 1"/></xsl:otherwise>*
*to make the topics start from <h2> instead of <h1>.*
*
Regards,
Radu

--