Hi Robert,

When trying to insert any XML fragment (Bold also being such an operation)
Oxygen tries to parse the XML fragment in the context of the main XML document
(to expand for example the entities which may be in the XML fragment).
So from what it seems Oxygen opens a network HTTP connection to get the content
of:
http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/iso8879/isopub.ent
You can make sure of this by disconnecting the network adapter and then trying
to use the "Bold" operation.
Because the W3C server sometimes rejects serving HTTP requests coming from the
same host in a small amount of time (to prevent denial of service attacks)
sometimes the operation works and sometimes it does not.

Now the real problem is:
Why is not the remote reference solved locally through the xml catalogs?
 From what I see, the file indeed exists in Docbook distributions (there is one
available also in the Oxygen frameworks).
But the Docbook catalogs only seem to map the file using the public ID like:

<public publicId="ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Publishing//EN//XML"
         uri="ent/isopub.ent"/>

So you can reference the entity in the XML using also the public ID like:
<!DOCTYPE book [
<!ENTITY % isopub PUBLIC "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Publishing//EN//XML"
"http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/iso8879/isopub.ent";>
%isopub;
]>
and it should be found locally (you can check this also by de-activating the
network adapter and validating the document).

If this is not an option:
You can also add a system catalog entry in one of the Docbook catalogs so you
can edit for example the
"OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR\frameworks\docbook\4.5\dtd\catalog.xml" and add this entry
to it

<system systemId="http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/iso8879/isopub.ent";
uri="ent/isopub.ent"/>

Or you can create and add to the Oxygen catalogs your own XML catalog
pointing to the isopub.ent and mapping it to the remote system ID.

Regards,
Radu

Radu Coravu
<oXygen/>   XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com