Hi Kristen,

When you edit a framework configuration in the "Document Type Association" preferences page in the "CSS" tab and you add an additional CSS you have three settings there:

1) Configure a reference to the CSS.
2) Set a title for the CSS
3) Set it as "Alternate" or not.

If you do not set a title for it, the CSS will be contributed by default to all the existing styled. So if as an example I create a CSS like this:

* {
    color:red;
}

and I refer to it as an additional CSS, without a title, when I open any DITA topic I will have red foreground. And the "Styles" drop down will not contain the possibility to uncheck this.

If you set the title for the referenced CSS, it will start to appear in the "Styles" drop-down.
You now have the option to specify it as "Alternate" or not.
If you do not specify it as "Alternate", it will be considered as a main CSS, so selecting it in the "Styles" drop down will use only the styles specified in it.

If you specify it as "Alternate", checking it in the "Styles" drop-down will use it in addition to all other CSSs checked there.
For example an alternate CSS in DITA that we use by default is this one:

OXYGEN_INSTALL_DIR\frameworks\dita\css\edit\alternate-full-width-layout.css

When checked in the "Styles" drop-down it provides only two CSS selectors which are merged with all the other DITA selectors given by the main non-alternate CSS.

More about the CSS drop-down:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/19.1/ug-editor/topics/selecting-combining-multiple-css-styles.html

Regards,
Radu