Hi Franz-Josef,

So:

oXygen changes the 1^st angle bracket of “<project folder>” to “&lt;project folder>” to save the structure.
If inside text content you leave a "<", the entire XML becomes not wellformed. So this is why Oxygen escapes it to &lt;

In Author mode, you don’t realize this, only when trying to Search&Replace <installation folder> with <program folder> you don’t find all occurences and wonder why.

Yes, for Find/Replace in Files you would need to search using "&lt;". But any XML-aware processor (like XSLT) will "see" that "&lt;" as the "<" character.

I see that this has to be changed by oXygen.

This cannot be helped, Oxygen needs to keep your XML document wellformed.

Is there some advice / best practice to deal with this kind of source text? At the moment, I can only think of putting this “variable” in a <varname> element inside <filepath> without writing the angle brackets and defining a CSS rule for /filepath/varname to surround it with brackets in the output.

This could indeed work or you could stick to what you are currently doing and let Oxygen escape the "<" as it currently does.

Regards,

Radu

Radu Coravu
Oxygen XML Editor

In our documentation we use something like <installation folder> or <project folder> and put these into file paths, f. e.

<project folder>\pipe\sewer.s3db

If I surround this with <filepath> markup, oXygen changes the 1^st angle bracket of “<project folder>” to “&lt;project folder>” to save the structure.

In Author mode, you don’t realize this, only when trying to Search&Replace <installation folder> with <program folder> you don’t find all occurences and wonder why.

I see that this has to be changed by oXygen.

Is there some advice / best practice to deal with this kind of source text? At the moment, I can only think of putting this “variable” in a <varname> element inside <filepath> without writing the angle brackets and defining a CSS rule for /filepath/varname to surround it with brackets in the output.

Any other ideas?

TIA and Greetings from Germany,

Franz-Josef

*AKG Software Consulting GmbH
Franz-Josef Knelangen*

Uhlandstraße 12
79423 Heitersheim
Germany

Tel.: +49 (0)7634 5612-611
Fax: +49 (0)7634 5612-300
E-Mail: _fjk@akgsoftware.de_
Internet: www.akgsoftware.de <http://www.akgsoftware.de>

Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Ing. Artur K. Günther, Dipl.-Ing. Arno Brüggemann, Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Bernhard Feser, Dipl.-Ing. Jens Günther
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Heitersheim, HRB 310383 (Amtsgericht Freiburg)