Since you are using DocBook, the easiest solution would be to add a pgwide="1" attribute on the figure elements. That forces the graphic to the full width of the page.  See:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Graphics.html#GraphicElements

In general, the above online book covers a lot of formatting issues for DocBook.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
b...@sagehill.net