>I never found bigger screens to increase productivity, they just give me a
larger code window.

>I prefer 2 or more screens when writing code. I'm currently sat looking at
5 screens.

I have a gut feeling that one large screen has certain ergonomic (and human
perception) advantages over multiple screens. I find that swinging my head
and eyes over to my second screen too frequently is uncomfortable. Sometimes
by accident I will start typing something long on the second screen and I
realise I feel a bit queasy and I move the window to centre-front and
suddenly it all feels better again. I try to keep infrequently used windows
on the second screen, ones that I glance at but don't "work" at. For example
I have Outlook on the second screen, but I read and compose emails on the
first screen.

I reckon that if I had a huge screen then I wouldn't just fill it with a
bigger code window, I'd dock more stuff open and around me to use the space
wisely (I'll have to wait and see if I'm so disciplined in reality). I also
theorise this is true because our eyes and brain like to look at one
continuous surface rather than many disjoint ones.

How on earth have you wired-up 5 screens and how are they positioned and
supported?

Wallace, we must always try to justify spending money on hardware by
convincing ourselves and others that it will increase productivity. I told
my wife that a spa, turbo Porsche, private helipad and wine cellar would
help my productivity, but she just said I'd have to work harder and send out
more invoices.