On 21 September 2010 03:21, Richard Carde <rich...@carde.id.au> wrote:

> A simple request which, perhaps, can be filed under 'etiquette' in the
> (unwritten) list charter?
>
> Some mail clients, in particular the iPhone, thread mail based on
> headers/metadata contained within messages.  This is either the In-Reply-To:
> or References: headers.
>
> Often it's tempting to start a new thread by replying to a message and
> changing the Subject.  This doesn't fool the aforementioned mail client and
> new threads get grouped with old.  That's frustrating!
>
> I would prefer not to go into a debate about what a mail client should and
> should not do.  I merely make the simple suggestion that a new thread is
> started by starting a new message.  If this is too hard, I shall suffer the
> pain.

It's not unreasonable, but for a mobile device, snipping excess signatures
etc wouldn't be unreasonable, either.  Gmail usually manages to do a smart
collapse down to "- show quoted text -"  but others don't.

(how many reasons do we need to not use iphones?  :)

--
Meski

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure, you'll
get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills