Thanks Greg...this is what i am doing..this technique is new to me...
Opened 2 instances of vs2008
Open instance 1 with Solution open
I then tried opening the form in question..now what...how do step through
the loading of the form from here?

I've never stepped through, I just want to know where it's dying, so if the
second IDE is set to break on a CLR Exception then it should stop and show
where it's dying in the first IDE when you open the form in the designer.

If it doesn't break, then the problem is hard. I've seen these other rotten
problems caused by missing or bad version DLLs, or missing resources. I've
had to resort to using WinDbg in these cases. Also, when debugging, be sure
that the compiler options are suitable and the source and debugging symbols
all match.

Oh yeah, another ... sometimes the Forms code-behind used to get corrupted,
more often before partial classes put the code into separate files, but it
still happens occasionally.