SQLite is the 900lb gorilla in the room of in-process databases. It is in
every mozilla install, android device, iOS device. It's the default database
for Adobe AIR apps. Skype. Symbian. McAffee. It is widely used by pretty
much everyone except Microsoft. It's fast (in my tests it was about 2x
faster than SQL CE 4 straight out of the box, although I recently made some
perf changes to my code in the way it calls SQLite that make it about 10x
faster than SQL CE 4, but I don't know much about tuning SQL CE perf). From
my tests ESE from Microsoft is the only in-process database technology of
comparable speed. But ESE doesn't have a SQL interface, full text search etc
like SQLite does. SQLite has some weird notions about types, but it still
manages to be very fast. Their approach to software reliability is quite
interesting > 600x more test code and scripts than actual SQLite code.

Joseph

--

w: http://jcooney.net
t: @josephcooney