Like many things in software development (and life) I think it's all about
managing expectations. By choosing the word they did in their initial
announcement red-gate set the expectation that there would continue to be a
free version of reflector in perpetuity, so some people (I think
understandably) feel a bit put-out when they don't meet that expectation.
Will I buy a copy of reflector when it's released? Sure. Am I happy about
having to keep track of reflector license keys, and not being able to assume
everyone has and uses reflector? Not so much. Do I look forward to having to
carefully scrutinize everything red-gate say in case of future
back-pedaling? No. For example in their most recent communique red-gate said
"Version 7 will be sold as a perpetual license, with no time bomb or forced
updates". How should I take that given their change of heart on the free
version?

Joseph

--

w: http://jcooney.net