Microsoft Security Essentials has an option to control how much CPU it uses
during a scan - 50% is the default IIRR. I've used security essentials on
several machines for the last 2 years and have never seen this problem. It
could be some interaction between Thunderbird and Security Essentials.

Joseph

--

w: http://jcooney.net
t: @josephcooney