On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Ken Schaefer <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:

> [...]
·         Usually requires dedicated IPv4 address – of which we have a
> shortage
>
> ·         Has resource overhead in setting up and maintaining a connection
> – there are solutions to this, but they all cost money
>
> I think you disregarded the part about 'falling back'.  If you've committed
to securing the login process via SSL then you've used that IP address
already.  Yes, there's overhead.  Yes, you might need more than 1 IP - but
only if you need to secure other content to avoid creating issues related to
mixed-mode security - fetching non-secure (static) content from other hosts
or if you're using a CDN.  But isn't your customer's security more
important?

I would argue that smaller shops would host all content from the same server
or reference ssl-enabled CDNs. Larger shops possibly reverse proxy content
from a single listener which requires only a single IP address.

--
*Richard Carde*