>Add a WCF error handler behaviour which changes the http return code to 200
even if there is an error (on the server side).

I've seen a few samples where people do this trick. However, I would rather
have a naked wrestling match with a rabid grizzly bear than write some WCF
behaviour code.

I will bear (no pun intended) this technique in mind for the future, but for
now the real fix is to use streaming.

Cheers,

Greg

The browser sees the http 500 return code which WCF returns when an
exception is thrown, which the browser gets before Silverlight, then all
Silverlight sees is a http 404.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844556(v=vs.95).aspx for more
info on how to actually implement it. Although I have implemented using
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.servicemodel.dispatcher.ierro
rhandler.aspx as I change specific exceptions into particular fault
contracts globally (DomainException becomes DomainFault etc).