I travel on the train every day. At least 50% of people are staring into a
phone on the way to work (me included, WP7). This is at least 10x more than
the number who have an iPad on the train. From this I can only conclude
that when people are on the road and want mobility they use their phone,
not their tablet. I also own an iPad and it is used 95% of the time at
home, on the couch or kitchen.

So 3g is not a high priority for most tablet users as they are mostly only
using it at home or office.