I have a similar system but I have a simple ruby script that applies
migration scripts. I can run it against development databases and when I'm
deploying a new version of the system I just run it against the production
database. It includes a bootstrap migration to create the schema version
table, and if the first migration is a dump of the existing schema and you
insert the migration record on production you can create development
databases totally in script. I've open sourced the script at
https://github.com/swxben/Shu-Er/tree/master/ruby/database_migrations