An oldy but a goody -
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/10154/NET-Encryption-Simplified

Thomas

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Stephen Price
Sent: Friday, 22 March 2013 1:06 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Encryption

Hey all,

"...which allows you to encrypt data using information from the current user
account or computer. "

I'm using ProtectedData to encrypt and decrypt passwords so they can be stored
in database encrypted, but they want to be able to see what the password is for
administrators. It all works great except when a user logs in (using a custom
principal, not the user who did the encryption.. ie the Admin) and it doesn't
work as the user is different, or the machine is different.

I'm looking for a way to encrypt and decrypt at an app level rather than
user/machine level. Don't mind if keys are involved. Anyone done this and is
there a framework class somewhere for that?

cheers,
Stephen

Peninsula Health - Metropolitan Health Service of the Year 2007 & 2009