http://davidburela.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/is-it-time-to-open-source-silverlight/

While I was at the MVP summit I started asking around about if it was time
to open source Silverlight. My thoughts were if the technology is now
considered "done" by Microsoft, then there are few reasons why it couldn't
be released to the community to see what they can do with it.
It was a solid technology (which isn't suitable in the modern world of the
public web), but still has a nice niche on desktop.
It could be interesting to see how the community extends it, and perhaps
even put onto other platforms (like moonlight did).

A basic game engine could be an interesting direction, or using it to embed
within desktop applications.
The point is, rather than let it rot internally at Microsoft, why not let
the community go wild with it before it gets any more stale.

http://davidburela.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/is-it-time-to-open-source-silverlight/
-David Burela