All this talk of Macs, maybe its time you switched to Apple?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Greg Keogh" <g...@mira.net>
Sent: ‎25/‎03/‎2014 10:59 AM
To: "ozDotNet" <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Subject: [OT] Weird symptoms and SSD

Folks, I have a warning post:

Since I installed a fresh Windows 7 on an SSD as Xmas I've been suspicious of
how one time in 20 it will stop and say "Bad boot drive" and I have to power
off and on again and then it always starts okay. No other symptoms have been
observed.

Well today, I was shutting down my PC when it blue screened on the way down, it
said SERVICE_EXCEPTION. Just to be safe I rebooted it normally to check it was
okay.

First problem. IE 32-bit shortcut says it's invalid, but I can see the
iexplore.exe in the correct place. Double-clicking it does nothing. The 64-bit
iexplore.exe tells me "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." Then
I notice most of my Start menu All Programs are gone. The Administrative Tools
menu is empty. I searched for an hour but none of the advice is relevant or
useful. Last known good config recover did nothing. I even thought I had a
virus, but found no evidence.

Finally I did a chkdsk C: /F and rebooted and I saw about 20 repairs (including
iexplore.exe) and now it seems to be back to normal. However I suspect the SSD
is about to die unpredictably and all of my mysterious symptoms were side
effects. I'm just posting this in case it might be useful for someone in a
similar situation.

Now I'm going to the shops to get a new SSD and psych myself up for a possible
Windows reinstall over the whole weekend. At Xmas it took 4 x 12 hour days to
get to a satisfactory working state.

Greg K