I first saw a Dell 30 inch about 5 years ago when they were ~$3000, and I
couldn't believe my eyes with the space and clarity. I see they've been
hovering around ~$1500 for the last year or so, still a bit out of my
budget range. Is there anything that can compete with the Dell U3014 now
for a lower price?

About 18 months ago I bought myself the consolation prize of a Dell U2711
for about $700 and it's one of the best things I've ever owned on a PC,
it's an enormous productivity booster. Never underestimate the value of
your screen real estate, after all, you stare at it for more than half your
waking life don't you?!

*Greg K*