Putting data “into the cloud” isn’t just about theft of data (that’s obviously
one very important part of information security).

Information Security Management includes, at the very least:

a)      Ensuring that non-authorized parties don’t get access (so theft of
online data via application vulnerabilities, vulnerabilities in the provider’s
infrastructure, theft of data at rest, theft of data in transit)

b)      Ensuring that authorized parties do have access (e.g. ensuring that
denial-of-service attacks against the application, authentication services,
utility services can be mitigated, and when the sh*t does hit the fan, you
don’t get finger pointing between suppliers)

c)       Ensuring information assurance: the data is valid and accurate (i.e.
not corrupt or tampered with) and that the data can be restored to known good
values (if required), and that there is adequate audit logs of access and
potentially changes)

Aside from information management, there’s the whole other realm of how a
business extends their other services (request, release, change,
incident/problem etc. management) into a different environment. Do you have the
skills, processes and appropriate technology (including license agreements
etc.) to adequately manage and monitor this environment to your necessary
regulatory and service level requirements? For small(er) orgs this is generally
not really too much of an issue. But as the org, tech footprint and regulatory
burden gets more complex, it rapidly becomes a nightmare.

For large orgs, especially in regulated environments, there are reams and reams
of requirements, and getting this all squared up in a new environment (external
or otherwise) is quite cumbersome.