I cannot believe it, but  yesterday I accidentally clicked on a link in an
email. A stupid email when I think about it. But I was under the pump and
it was from a friend.

"I uploaded the attached document for you .Kindly view, it's important.
Thanks"

This action caused a mining operation through all the stored emails and
contacts and propagation of similar emails to those contacts. I am not sure
whether any of you guys have had the same, as the email address was my
personal - though both mail servers are Google.

I guess my flippant remark about the cloud is too real. We are on the cloud
now with our extensive use of email and social media. Placing our
development work and documentation is one step further and indeed many of
us are already using Rackspace, Google Drive, Box, Amazon and Azure.  One
slip up and it's all gone !

Fortunately (so far) nothing has happened too badly to me other than
embarrassment and wasted time changing Cname records.  Today, however  I am
in battle mode changing all passwords, responding to enquiries about said
email, checking old emails for any vulnerabilities and backing up to
physical portable drives .

Easy to get complacent.

- Stuart

On 29 October 2015 at 08:03, Stuart Kinnear <stu...@skproactive.com> wrote:

> Is it Friday -
>
> Renegade, host your own ?   Join the cloud, or Skynet now.
>
> How far are we away from ?
> "Skynet is a fictional conscious, gestalt, artificial general intelligence
> (see also Superintelligence) system that features centrally in the
> Terminator franchise and serves as the franchise's main antagonist."
>
> - Stuart
>

> On 28 October 2015 at 21:38, Greg Keogh <gfke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What do you use your home server for anyway?
>>>

>> One of my domains with SSL is for previewing and  distributing software,
>> the others are personal or special hobby subjects. All of them could be
>> hosted, but each year I look at the options and the price adds up and it's
>> more management to remember. There's also the latency in updating bulk
>> files to hosted sites (but now I have cable that could be a dead issue). I
>> actually don't want to run my own server, but my great dream of moving
>> everything to the cloud gets stopped by niggling problems. One day I'll get
>> rid of most of my metal boxes I hope, as speed and convenience converge --
>> *Greg*

Stuart Kinnear
Mobile: 040 704 5686.   Office: 03 9589 6502

SK Pro-Active! Pty Ltd
acn. 81 072 778 262
PO Box 6082 Cromer, Vic 3193. Australia

Business software developers.
SQL Server, Visual Basic, C# , Asp.Net, Microsoft Office.