I'm not sure this is much more of an issue now than it was. Back in the day
we had to decide between Delphi, VB, Powerbuilder, C++ among others when
building a Windows app. And once we decided that we had to work out which
third party libraries we wanted to use with them.

If I take an old 15 year old Delphi app I have it would take me the best
part of a week to get it compiling again now if I had to build the dev
machine from scratch.