From: Greg Harris
Sent: Tuesday, 13 March, 7:52 am
Subject: Log filter / display dashboard - Looking for recommendation
[Slightlyoff topic]
To: ozDotNet

Hi All,
Question: Can you recommend a standard dashboard app that takes multiple logs,
filters out the 99% that is not relevant, works out a status, displays a panel
of Green, Amber, Red blobs with hyperlinks to detailed log info?
Details:
I am doing an architecture consulting gig for a client (a mostly MS Windows /
Azure site, but there are some Unix servers out there as well).
They have about a dozen core applications that the business is highly dependent
on and another 100 or so that they are less dependent on.
The problem being that when something goes wrong, vendor A says “the problem is
with vendor B’s system” and you know what vendor B says.  What makes this worse
is that the chain goes through multiple vendors and systems with long inter
system data flows.
I want to make the recommendation to them that they implement logging and a top
level log display dashboard for the systems they are highly dependent on.  The
dashboard would show:
1.       Dataflow around the systems
2.       Work backlog at each sub system
3.       Status at each sub system
4.       Time since last ping at each sub system
This feels to me to be a standard sort of system that every major site needs!
I am not sure what to recommend???
Question: Can you recommend a standard dashboard app that takes multiple logs,
filters out the 99% that is not relevant, works out a status, displays a panel
of Green, Amber, Red blobs with hyperlinks to detailed log info?
I am thinking of Nicholas Blumhardt’s Seq application (https://getseq.net/) or
Datadog (https://www.datadoghq.com/) but neither of these feel quite complete
to me.
We will need a hierarchy solution:
1.       App logging (has to be baked into existing and new apps)
2.       Forwarded to Site Logger (maybe baked into the app, or as an add on)
3.       Site Logger
4.       Filter
5.       Analysis
6.       Dashboard display
At level 1 if logging needs to be added to an existing or new system, I am
thinking that the recommendation will be to use Serilog
(https://github.com/serilog) or Datadog (https://www.datadoghq.com/).
If the app already has logging, I am thinking that some form of log forwarder
is needed, I want to avoid paying for apps to be modified to meet this need if
they already have logging.
Levels 2-6 could be should be a standard off the shelf app.
Best Regards
Greg Harris
Greg Harris
<mailto:harris.gre...@gmail.com>