I guess the key requirement here is "I'm about to write this string to a
log file, is there a chance there's a credit card number in here?".  All
other things considered, this is reasonably good safeguard.  I'd imaging if
the quick and dirty regex I listed picks anything up, you could do a
further mod10 to validate against valid credit card numbers etc.

All seems a bit iffy though doesn't it.  If a CC # has gotten its way to a
log file, you really need to question your developers.

--
Alan Ingleby