I had this last night as I upgraded an Azure project to .Net Core 5.0.  The
App Service refused to start with the same error message. (I recognise Greg
is doing a Web App)

I destroyed the App Service and created a new one and selected the
framework “.Net 5 Early Access” as the “run time stack”.  (“.Net 5” is not
yet an option.) Redeployed and it worked.  (Apparently you can change the
run time stack against an existing app service but it was TLDR)

This goes the to subsequent comments by Nick R about Azure not being ready
on release day. It’s a bad look for the Enterprise.

While I was reading the release notes for .Net Core, the migration for
Blazor from 3.1 to 5.0 was HUGE.  Fortunately I don’t use it so I was able
to repeatedly page down skipping over the pain.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/migration/31-to-50?view=aspnetcore-5.0&tabs=visual-studio

Interestingly, this chestnut is buried at the bottom.  I have no idea what
this means other than I am going to have to retest code affected by
timezones.  As the joke goes, it has been -1hr since my last timezone bug.

*Model binding changes in ASP.NET <http://ASP.NET> Core MVC and Razor Pages*

DateTime values are model bound as UTC times

In ASP.NET Core 3.1 and earlier, DateTime values were model-bound as local
time, where the timezone was determined by the server. DateTime values
bound from input formatting (JSON) and DateTimeOffset values were bound as
UTC timezones.

In ASP.NET Core 5.0 and later, model binding consistently
binds DateTime values with the UTC timezone.

To retain the previous behavior, remove
the DateTimeModelBinderProvider in Startup.ConfigureServices:

Dave A