> Have a check of your path variable?  Some install/updates are fairly brain
> dead when they modify it, periodically I copy it out to a text editor and
> clean up removed apps, check for valid paths etc

Howdy, I saw some web posts around that subject, but my PATH looked
sensible.

I noticed the dotnet --info showed all my runtimes were in Program Files
(X86) whereas they were in the 64-bit one on my other machines. This weird
difference had me worried and I didn't know how to alter it. So by 1pm I
had done no work and since the weekend was upon me I ran lots of backups
and screenshots and formatted C: and reinstalled the latest Win10 image
20H2.

This has fixed my Core project problem and the dotnet --info output matches
my other machines.

I don't feel so bad about the reinstall, as a lot of crap accumulates over
3 years or so with countless updates and new major software releases. It
took about 8 full man-hours to get everything back to a familiar shape, but
I notice my program list is much smaller and lots of strange folders and
settings have vanished, so I feel my PC is much "cleaner" now. I suppose
it's worth doing this every couple of years if you have the stamina for it.
Most of my time was wasted configuring IIS, putting credentials back
everywhere, creating my favourite shortcuts and Start Menu arrangement.

I have one utterly weird and unexpected problem ... the default font in
notepad, VS2019 output window, Edge text display, and many other places has
reverted to some italic font. So I've got this stupid italic output all
over the place and I can't find where it's coming from or how to get the
normal Segoe (I think?) back again.

Cheers,
*Greg K*

P.S. I forgot to mention Friday week ago that it was the 25 anniversary of
the release of JavaScript.