Folks, I need to publish different *.js files depending upon the selected
$(Configuration). I have VS2019 configs for Debug, AU region and US region.
I tried editing the csproj file to have conditions around the files, like
this fragment for the US.

  <ItemGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)'=='Release US'">
    <Content Include="wwwroot\script\app-us.js"/>
  </ItemGroup>

It does nothing, so I tried <None Remove> and <Content Remove> and
CopyToPublishDirectory in a dozen combinations, but I either get no files
or all files. I'm clearly bumbling around uselessly, so maybe someone has
done this before and can reveal what tricks are required.

I'm just using VS2019 publish project command, so that's when I want the
conditions to run. Maybe ItemGroup conditions are meaningless for publish?
I dunno because web searches produce confusing and contradictory samples
and the MSDN documentation doesn't seem to cover what I'm doing.

Thanks,
*Greg*