> VS 2019 Pro 16.11.17 works as expected.
> VS 2022 Pro 17.2.6 does not make changes, as you have experienced, even
> though the output window says otherwise.

Wow! Thanks. So I'm not going nuts. Now the question is: what's going on?
Is this by design or not?

I hope it's not by design, because I often use VS for bulk file editing. I
was bulk changing htm files in a website several weeks ago when I noticed
that nothing had changed. The workaround is to tick *Keep modified files
open* then Ctrl+Shift+S to save them all, then close all tabs. I had 400+
htm files, so I was lucky it worked.

*Greg*