> One of my dreams is to be able to open a VS project that I haven’t touched
> for 6 months, and have it still just work. Far too frequently, I spend an
> eternity in dependency hell.

Yes indeed, you mentioned that a few months ago, and it happened to me a
few days ago. I opened a project archived about last Xmas to compare some
code with its replacement and I received shedloads of errors trying to
compile and run it, I could have spent a solid hour resurrecting it with
tfm or package updates, but I gave up and just browsed the raw files.
Sometimes projects I compiled last Friday won't work this week.

The person who should be taken to the Hague and prosecuted for crimes
against software is Mr Newtonsoft. I wonder if other people here have
burned major parts of their lives away trying to solve Newtonsoft conflicts
and crashes. He's not totally to blame though, because major players have
become dependent on it, which combined with its dodgy versioning system has
created a tangle worse than string theory. I'm glad to see Microsoft is
gradually removing it from their libraries, the worst being Cosmos DB which
keeps dragging it in (but I think it's gone in the latest libraries I'm not
using yet). End of rant.

P.S. I just found that one of my vanilla hobby Blazor apps is also stalling
like the big apps. Now I suspect there is some new global compatibility or
config mismatch issue. The only players are VS2022 and Chrome, so what they
hell has happened to their friendship?!

*GK*