Hello to all,

I am trying to formulate a definition for a Family Birth Centre/Birth
Centre.  I am endeavourig to do this because I feel the community need to be
made aware as clearly as possible what options are available.

One issue I wish to clarify is how important is the physical structure?
Basically a free standing Birth Centre is one that is not directly within a
hospital's buildings but could be on hospital grounds( I think King Edward
in Perth is set up this way).  In Victoria there is only one, the Hawthorn
Birthing Centre which is private.  All other Birth Centres I am aware of
operate within hospital buildings.  Does a Birth Centre need to exist
dependently from Delivery Suite or as some smaller hospitals so incorporate
it into one-two delivery rooms in their current delivery suite?  Is it
necessary to stipulate those Birth Centres that are separated and should
they be acknowledged as such?

Birth Centres tend to operate under a Midwives philosophy being one of low
intervention. Whereas delivery suites tend to operate under the medical
model generally associated with higher intervention.  Arguably they are
philosophically opposed, proving difficulty with having one-two rooms
attached to a delivery suite.

What about staff?  Does a Birth Centre need it's own dedicated staff or can
delivery suite staff cater for both mainstream as well as birth centre
families, crossing those philosophical boundaries?

I am interested on any comments on the above thankyou.

Pete Malavisi.