The Mackay Birth Centre has recently celebrated a 5th Birthday!

We are situated on hospital grounds- not within the hospital- our home has moved to a
temporary location whilst we await the redevelopment of Mackay Base. The building
itself was originally a 2 bedroom house where doctors lived.  Women who choose to
birth here choose between a variety of options- vast majority choose BC Midwifery
care, minimal share care and a very small percentage choose to liase with a private
obs.  We provide Midwifery care at the BC any medical rx is elsewhere.

4 full-time Midwives currently work at the BC, on average we provide care for 14
families/mth with bookings spilling over to a waitlist for each mth.  Guidelines
prefer at least a 4hr stay-women are  home within 24 hrs or alternatives are
negotiated.  On the whole Midwifery care continues at the family home.  The Midwives
work together as a team providing care for the family and also each other.  Very
important to add that we have exceptional support from our NPC Cathy.

We are constantly evaluating and changing to optimally meet the needs of Women
ourselves included.   With the Base Hospital  undertaking a unique Team Midwifery
approach for all Women accessing the Base for Birth we now will endeavour to continue
to provide care for Women requiring transfer to labour ward and the Womens Unit
intrapartally.  Up until now t/f involved the Midwives from the Womens Unit taking
over the care of Women labouring and postnatal follow-up.

'Friends of the Birth Centre' are our wonderful consumer group who are dedicated to
the growth and support of the BC.

Hope this helps with your definition!
Katrina