Dear Katrina

The insurance provided by ANF is only provided by the Victorian branch. I
tried to pursue this yesterday - but because I live in NSW - I cannot become
a member of ANF Victoria (something to do with their constitution).

I spoke with David Marshall - ANF Victoria's insurance broker yesterday. He
claims that no company in Australia will cover midwives. He is currently
trying to find insurance off shore for midwives (in the UK I think) - but it
will come down to cost (the exchange rate between here at the UK isn't
exactly great).

I contracted my own insurance broker who put in submissions for me to all
companies who do professional indemnity insurance in Australia - there are 8
companies and 8 declined to insure me.

I also contacted the NSW Nurses Association yesterday - I know we have
philosophical differences - however they have political clout and huge
membership. They contacted me back and asked to write to the general
secretary - they may well take it up as an issue. The person I spoke to
quite outraged at the current state of affairs.

Cheers

Jane Palmer

Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
Caring, Professional Midwifery Services