There have been many messages around this project.  Well done everyone, and
don't give up.  There has to be a way to ensure that women can access best
practice midwifery care, and that midwives can practice midwifery.  My
thoughts are with those who meet in Sydney tomorrow.

Remember there is no law that enshrines a right to choice. (the notion of
choice in maternity services has been promoted as what women want, along
with control and continuity of care - Changing Childbirth in the UK.  Women
have to demand what they think is appropriate.) The law recognises a
competent person's right of refusal of medical treatment, but not a right
to dictate what a provider should do.

However there is a longstanding ethic of doing good and not doing harm.  We
can argue that the evidence for midwife primary care and against the
Australian obstetric model should compel providers of maternity services to
promote (not just offer) midwife primary care.

Our Commonwealth government has put in place the Competition Policy
Agreement, and the ACCC as the watchdog body.  Prof Fels and his colleagues
have acted decisively on many other matters. Statements about competition
and health care - that it should be the consumer's choice, and not the
judgment of the provider, what services are available UNLESS it can be
clearly demonstrated that people will be harmed by removal of restrictions
to competition - these need to be taken seriously.

Last night on the ABC (3LO) radio program about midwives, Sandy Gray from
the NZCOM stated that New Zealand now has evidence of falling rates of
neonatal mortality in the decade since 1990.  That's very supportive
evidence, and I want to get my hands on it!

I have counted all the signatures that have come it for the Midwifery
Campaign petition. We are well over 1200.  Please continue to collect these
signatures.  You can download a petition form from the website
www.maternitycoalition.org.au   The petition will support our claims when
 we speak to the policy makers.

Keep up the good work everyone, and keep a clear vision of the goal
Joy Johnston

Ps I have been told by a reliable person that RCNA is very unhappy about
the Guild decision about midwives.  Guild has sent the letter of notice
that they will not renew policies to midwives who are not even in clinical
practice, as well as the IPMs.