Dear Lieve
Your messages to this list are always good.  And your kind words about
Australian midwives are appreciated.  I think Belgian midwives are pretty
special people too.
I want to thank all who have shared their knowledge and beliefs about the
flower 'remedies'.  There are many things about which my knowledge is
limited, and I see many midwives claiming knowledge in the fields of
alternative therapies and other modes of healing.

I constantly struggle with our society's *need* to have treatments and
therapies - and hence my sceptical response.  I know this human body is
imperfect, and can be very easily put into a cycle of illness and
destruction.  I think we feel compelled to interfere if we believe that by
not interfering the outcome is likely to be bad, and that we can make it
better.  That's what a rescue is all about.
In learning to be a midwife I have been learning about a woman's
empowerment from within. By this I mean that I (the midwife) don't usually
do the 'empowering' (or healing or treating or therapies).  My presence
should enable the woman's own inner knowledge to become freed up, and
healing comes with that empowerment.  I am constantly amazed and in awe
when I see that this has happened.  Sometimes the woman uses medicines of
one sort or the other in her process of healing, but in the end there's a
sense of (to quote Tao Te Ching): "the mother will rightly say, 'we did it
ourselves'."

Joy