Below is the email I have sent to this show.
________
I am a midwife and I am very concerned about the increasing demands on
public and private health services in the face of reduced spending in the
publich health sector.

I recognise the ideological stance of the liberal party in terms of health
care. My concern is that woman who undertake private care have a much
greater chance of caesarean section rates and other interventions (see
Rocking the Cradle Senate Inquiry and
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/321/7254/137.pdf).  In some Australian
private hospitals there is over a 50% caesarian section rate (WHO recommend
no greater than 15% intervention rates -Marsden Wagner 1994). This
unnecessary and totally avoidable escalation in procedures and therefore
health dollars has not been addressed by any government to date.  Please ask
Mr Wooldridge does he see himself, as Health Minister, being accountable to
the healthy low risk women who are put at risk from avoidable major
abdominal surgery simply because they are not able to access alternative
care providers? Midwifery lead care for low risk women (~80% of women) is
supported by the World Health Organisation as being the safest and most cost
effective way to provide quality maternity services.  Childbirth consumer
groups are more than happy to tell him that they want MORE CHOICES!
Clinical indicators show no difference between obstetric or midwifery lead
care in the care of low risk women (slighlty improved with midwives - see
New Zealand statistics) yet the cost, both in fiscal and social terms, to
women is vastly different under each model.

I want to know who does this system of unnecessary costly intervention
serve? Need I ask? It certainly isn't the women of Australia.

Also please ask Mr Wooldridge when he thinks it would be a good time to take
action (perhaps have lunch with the president of the Australian Nurses
Federation) to address the exodus of nurses from the Australian Health Care
System. Nurses are walking away because they are exhausted and can no longer
be the backbone to a service that has diminishing resources yet increasing
patient acuity and throughput.  Mr Wooldridge needs to know that Nursing
workloads are totally unacceptable. Nursing is on a national shortage of
skills list - yet Mr Wooldridge continues to 'pass the buck' on this issue
to the state governments.  He may not yet realise that this is a major
Federal electoral issue for many nurses and their families.

Would love to see some of these areas addressed in your show.

Warm regards,
Jackie Doolan
Midwife