From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Pinky
Sent: Wednesday, 17 October 2001 3:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Book

Joy
 You make an important point - I too have had work "ripped off" from my website.  I must say I was flabbergasted and quite furious. In the case that I discovered I actually pointed out that this was a breach of copyright and asked for it to be removed within 24 hours or I would take legal action - this was an Australian site - not sure how this applies internationally in a practical sense - although it is definitely a legal issue.

 I have also come across sections from articles I have written in various newspapers that I was unaware had been used in Books - I dont mind if I am acknowleged and people have told me EXACTLY what they are using but I was shocked to find  a direct quote in a book on body image by a well known Melbourne writer/ cartoonist a few years ago that simply referenced my article as  "Belly Dancing article Sunday Age ". -Not even my name as the author and certainly no request for permission.

In the case of the birth stories, Jane has obviously asked permission initially but some publishers seem to be less than clear about the definition of "permission" For Parenting By Heart, I actually had permission forms filled in by people I interviewed - even thougn I wrote up the interviews and in many cases used pseudonyms. the very few people  who supplied their own  stories were offered "payment' - most requested copies of the book.
 Jane - can you get your publisher to send these people free copies if they give you their addresses?

Pinky

  • Book Pinky
    • book Jane Palmer
    • book Joyce, Sally (nee Ferguson)