And re the recent discussion what is a midwife.
I have stayed out of this thread (so far).  Personal issues have kept me
distracted.
When I read the message about Claire Brassard I felt grieved at the loss of
someone who seems to have the midwife's heart and skill, without the
registration.  I have not met her, but I accept the word of people like Sue
Cookson, who I have met.  I am grieved that the group of people who support
lay midwives has not worked out a way for such women to have their
competence acknowledged, and a registration granted.  I think this would be
a win-win situation.
It's probably a discussion that needed to be had. Much midwifery knowledge
is basic women's knowledge, and in many instances I think this knowledge
has been preserved by (lay) women (some of whom may have taken the role of
midwife) and willingly shared with registered midwives who have sought to
regain an understanding of what it means to be 'with woman'.  Those
midwives also share their knowledge, in a mutually supportive way.  The
destructive paradigm of domination of one group or person over another does
not fit with midwifery.

Regulating professions is something that is widely accepted in our society,
and is supported throughout legislation.  The purpose of these laws is
protection of the public - the ordinary Ms Public is supposed to be
confident about what a midwife is, and is able to check that the person is
actually qualified, and is able to complain if a midwife does something
wrong.
We can't compare the present situation for unregistered birth attendants
with previous generations, or with the birth attendants in developing
nations.  Gloria Lemay in Canada is an exceptional case, and she was taken
to court a couple of years ago.  The judgment went in her favour - that as
long as she didn't hold herself out as belonging to the College of
Midwives, she could do her work attending births.  That story is in Birth
Matters Vol 4.3 Sept 2000 p10.

This is a disjointed argument.  I hope someone finds what I have said
useful.  My plea is let's not split up into warring factions, competing for
the tiny proportion of women who choose to step out of the system.  I think
we all need to work towards achieving national acceptance of a woman's need
to be able to choose a known midwife (best practice - evidence based) as a
funded option throughout the health system.  (ie the Australian Midwifery
Campaign)

Btw the Campaign Petition now has about 6000 signatures.  That's a lot of
evidence.  We would appreciate all petitions being returned to Maternity
Coalition as soon as they are filled.  If you want to download a petition,
go to www.maternitycoalition.org.au

Warm regards
Joy Johnston
25 Eley Rd  Blackburn South Vic  3130