It would be easier for me to keep my mouth shut, but I feel compelled to
say something here.

I was also at the last Homebirth Australia AGM at Noosa (Nov 2000 I think)
and contributed to the discussion about statistics.  It was my first HBA
meeting, so I do not understand all the 'history'.

I was not practising in homebirth when the last set of statistics were
collected by HBA.  I have contributed to MIPP (midwives in private practice
Vic) statistics which have been reported at midwifery conferences and
submitted for publication.  It was clear in the HBA meeting that midwives
would need to be satisfied that their data would be properly managed before
they submitted it to anyone.  That was no criticism of any person.  When I
see a proposal for data collection I will consider it, regardless of who is
managing it.

There were lots of other issues raised in this discussion.  I plead with
all who are committed to reform of maternity services in Australia to
address the problems, and not allow personal conflict to arise.  We can all
contribute something, and can be strengthened in the process.

Joy Johnston