Title: Re: SHE FEB 2002 Article
Hi All

Julie Clarke posted a message in Feb about SHE Magazine reporting on the NH&MRC Report into Maternal Deaths.  I too thought it was good for a glossy to tackle such an issue.  I wrote in and the following appears in the latest edition (April with Madonna on the front if you have time to kill at the checkout!!) A political call on the Gov was edited out but we got MC’s website in! Not too bad!

In birthing solidarity

Justine Caines

Maternity Coalition ACT Branch

I applaud Stephanie Osfield and She for the article Why are more women dying in childbirth (Feb).  I am a Mother of 2 with a third due in July.  I was fortunate to be able to choose an Independent Midwife for my first two births.  I had beautiful intervention free births surrounded by love-ones in my home.  Independent Midwives are not publicly funded and very few health funds offer rebates.  Midwife-led care is available to less than 5% of Australian women and virtually no women in regional Australia; despite the World Health Organisation and at least 6 State and federal inquires recognising one on one midwife led care as the most appropriate and cost effective care for the majority of women (around 85%).
(for info visit:www.maternitycoalition.org.au)

Justine Caines
Maternity Coalition ACT Branch

Hi all
I received a copy of the latest "SHE" magazine February, 2002 from a lovely mum in my class last night.
The article she pointed out to me was "Why are More Women Dying In Childbirth" it's on page 42 and well worth reading.
It's completely focussed on the rising intervention rate in Australia particularly c. sections and their risks, according to a startling new report by the NH&MRC and Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW).
The reporter Stephanie Osfield has interviewed Prof Lesley Barclay, part of the group which put together the report and director of the Centre for Family Health and Midwifery at Sydney's University of Technology and Hannah Dahlen, sec of the NSW Midwives Association.
I've read the article (3 pages) and some of it is very sad reading - I expect it will be brought up my many couples in classes in the future.  I wouldn't normally read SHE but I'm glad I have had the chance to read this one.
hug
Julie