I had cancelled my plans to go to Bendigo yesterday afternoon for the IMDay
celebrations.  Then the phone call came, in broken English, "Joy we want
you to come.  The contractions are hard.  The blood has dropped (ie show)."
It was *international*.  The woman has come to this country from S America,
and although she managed enough English in the months leading up to the
birth, she needed her mother tongue, Spanish, in labour.
It was *midwives*.  My helper is a Spanish-speaking midwife who I met when
she was a student, and who has been with me for a previous homebirth.  She
translated my words to the woman, as we waited in the bedroom.  The other
children were playing in another room of the house.

The baby was born beautifully, and was suckling strongly within minutes. I
marvel at the strength of this and every woman in birth, and at every
aspect of the natural process.  It was a good day.

Joy Johnston