Hi

I'm one of a number of volunteer committee members from the Launceston Birth
Centre. The Launceston Birth Centre was established about 20 years ago to
provide women with birthing choices outside of the hospital (home birth and
birth centre births). The service is independent (non government) and does
not receive any government funding. Very recently the independent midwives
associated with the Birth Centre found they were not covered by professional
indemnity insurance. We are trying to find out what is happening in other
states about this issue, particularly in relation to midwives who practice
in the community. What are the options for midwives insuring themselves
(collectively or individually)? What are other state governments doing about
this issue (eg funding services to pay insurance, temporarily employing
midwives etc)? What are the requirements in other states in relation to the
Nursing Act and professional indemnity? Any information or leads would be
very gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Shandell