Deb
I think Ann was asking about non electronic monitoring ie doppler/ fetascope/pinard during labor. Do you have any research on that? One of my classmates at Seattle Midwifery School did her Senior paper on this topic, however I don't have her paper with me and it is unpublished. I generally have listened to FHt's every 30 minutes (before, during and after a ctx) in active labor, and then every 5 minutes during second stage/ after every contraction.  Obviously we are listening for decels and it is contentious as to if we can differentiate late, early, or variable decels with a doppler (probably not with a pinard/fetascope). I think there is great  practitioner variability with the use of intermitent auscultation. I am interested to here what others do at home and at birth centers/ hospital.
marilyn